Copyright Top

© 2008 by LunaTechChick. All rights reserved.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Red And Yellow And Pink And Green....

...Purple and Orange and Blue....


Here's an idea....let's stop giving so much attention only to breast cancer.  How bout we focus on finding the cause, fund research and work to find cures for ALL cancers. 
Every Month. 
All Year.

Think Before You Pink.


My feelings on all this Pink in October have evolved quite a bit over the five years I've had to have the bc bs in my life. This year, my feelings on it are pretty much the same as they were last year. So here's a reblog of part of that post from Pretty In Pink.



Nope.  No it's not.  October. Here we go again.  Pink bc awareness month. Seems that every single year, my thoughts change on how I feel about all this pinkness.  Last year I was just kinda "meh" about it.

This year I'm just over the pink this & pink that.  No, I'm not one to get all militant about pink ribbons & pink everything in October.  But I'm starting to see that it's just not fair.  WHY all this attention on bc?  Isn't every single damn part of your body able to get some sort of cancer? Why all the bc focus?  And why pink?

One thing I really have never understood is all this "Race for the Cure" stuff where you see ladies all decked in pink everything, complete with boas & tutus & tiaras.  I can't really understand how people appear to be all celebratory about bc awareness.  Believe me, the world is totally fuckin aware of bc. And before you come at me with the "they're celebrating survivors" stuff...I get that.  But at the same time, I kind of feel it's insensitive to those living with stage iv bc, & to the families of those taken by it.  Yes, when I first was diagnosed, I went to "Pink Out" things & did Relay for Life stuff...wore pink ribbons...but as I went through & continue to go through it, thoughts & feelings change, ya know? 

Now hear this: There is NOTHING Pretty In Pink about bc.  

So, September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month...where's their Teal Race? Or Leukemia's Orange Race?  And so on & so on....

But nooooo...let's just make a big ol fuckin party about bc.  Why?  Cause it's BOOBS? Everybody likes to look at boobies, right?

Well, I'm sorry that maybe you don't find a Pancreas as pretty as Boobies, but I sure would like to see even HALF the attention given to bc, shared with funding research for pancreatic cancer...or colon cancer, or....What, colons not cute enough for ya? 

Let's not forget that there are all kinds of fucked up cancers out there, ok? (Is there any other kind? I think not.)

...Please don't misunderstand me.  I don't have issues with those who like the pink ribbon. I am not offended by the pink ribbon. I'm VERY honored when someone tells me they participated in a Pink *this or that* thinking of me or in my honor.  Love love love that.  And thank you so so so much.   

Just think before you pink. Seriously, the majority of this pink ribbon branded merch only donates the tiniest portion to bc research, if anything at all....

________________________________________________________

Let's take back October for spooky Halloween fun, cooler temps, sweaters and any and everything NOT to do with bc. 


9 comments:

eileen@womaninthehat.com said...

Isn't it the truth. You won't see any slogans like, "Hug a colon for the cure!" Thanks for a thoughtful post, Kimberly.

LunaTechChick said...

Eileen, thanks so much for commenting. Yeah, I have several other problems with Pinktober, but thought this was a good one to start with. I know people dealing with other cancers who are very resentful of all the bc pink stuff. Gonna be a busy month on the blog, I think. Love your colon slogan! xx

Sandra Davis said...

Great post Kimberly. Love, Mom

LunaTechChick said...

Awww, thanks Mom!

Paula said...

I had my BC surgery on Oct 8 so even after 25 yrs next week I am still reminded constantly about BC for a solid month or three. So the whole Pinktober thing is tough for me. I would love to just forget about my upcoming anniversary but that' not going to happen. :( However I did buy a pretty cool t-shirt from the ambulance service here so I guess I am feeding the frenzy myself. LOL

LunaTechChick said...

Hey Paula! I actually do have a couple of pink ribbon shirts that were sold by our fire dept. I really don't have issue with the ribbon itself, just the whole "rah rah, party party" & sexualiztion of bc. And the products that donate next to nothing, & then donate to a stupid organization that pretty much just pays salaries. Anymore I sport the ribbon as a convo starter....spreak my own brand of awareness ;) But that's another post for another time. :)

LunaTechChick said...

Spreak. Lol! SPREAD. Damn phone lol!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I just want fall colors and Halloween this month--take October back!

LunaTechChick said...

Hi CC! Yes, let's!